Monday, March 30, 2009

My Thoughts Are Not Your Thoughts

As I sit here wondering what to say, I really don't know what I'm going to write, but I guess I mostly want to share what God has been teaching me through his Word. His Word has always been our only source of truth, but I have needed it so desperately these past couple of days, as it has been easy to fill my mind with untrue thoughts....

Our family received the news that my Grandpa decided to take his own life on Saturday morning. Our family has truly been blessed thus far to have not experienced any close family deaths, so this was a first for many of us. The grief that came over me was not like any I had experienced before. There have been many tears for so many different reasons....the pain my mom, grandma, and aunt are feeling above all others, the fact that I can do nothing to take their pain and sorrow away, and the sad realization of the despair and loneliness my grandpa must have been feeling before he took his life.

The only place I had to turn was the Word of God....which is truly the source of all comfort and truth. It was so easy for me to not want to trust that this is all part of God's good plan. There are so many "whys" I could ask, but it would be to no avail. I realize that I can't understand the thoughts of the Lord, and that the ways he chooses to bring about his perfect plan are not going to be the ways I would choose.

The pastor at church ended his sermon with these verses yesterday, which penetrated my heart, as I was struggling with these thoughts the day before: ""For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," declares the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."" ~Isaiah 55:8-9~ ... As the heavens are higher than the earth!! God's ways are FAR above any ways man might think of!!!

May we echo with Paul and Isaiah, "OH, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For 'Who has known the mind the Lord, or who became his couselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to Him again?' For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen" ~Romans 11:33-36~

May the suffering and greiving echo the words of David..."I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord." ~Psalm 27:13-14~

May the dear women in my life who are suffering more than myself take great comfort in the only one who can comfort, our Great Shepherd.
The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quite waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for you are with me.
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me
All the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
~Psalm 23~
And one thing I would ask of you, as my sister has also asked (on her blog) is that you would PLEASE PRAY! That is the only thing we can do right now. Please pray for: the salvation of the lost; for my mom, aunt, and grandmother to have no regrets, for the Lord planned out all his days before there were none; for wisdom in dicisions that need to be made; for comfort and peace from the Lord in the midst of suffering; for any physical pain that may accompany the emotional pain; and ultimately, that the Lord's glory may shine bright through the midst of an otherwise dark situation.
Praise to Jesus Christ for the great hope we have through the suffering of His son! May the Lord come quickly!

5 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

Love you sister...thanks for sharing your heart...but, more importantly the truths of God's Word that transform our hearts and give us beauty for ashes!
Love you!

For His Glory said...

I copied and pasted what I wrote on Kristin's blog and wanted to encourage you as well with the same thing...Love you~

I am convinced that there is and will be a sweet blessing that comes from this tragedy. What Satan has meant for evil God means for good...Hold on and rest in God's plan and the ultimate outcome of all this grief your family is experiencing, which I know and am certian because of God's Word, that it will turn out for your joy and for God's glory. Not to make light of any pain and grief you will and must go through. I hope you know what I mean? Love you dear friend.

Fenway Park "er" said...

Kim

I appreciate hearing how the Lord is using his Word to speak to your heart. Your thoughts encouraged me, and your emphatic request for prayer is so important as we walk through the "valley of the shadow of death" together. Recently, in my study of Scripture, I was reminded that the Lord allows darkness so that we can see His great light. Evil is permitted that His righteousness might be demonstrated (Rom. 3:5). I pray Jesus would shine brightly through each of us as we continue to live among "people who walk in darkness" (Isa. 9:2).

Love you,

Dad

crystal said...

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ ,the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our afflictions,so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings,so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.

2 corinthians 1:3-5


"I love you,O Lord,my strength.The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,my God,my rock, in whom I take refuge,my sheild,and the horn of my salvation,my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord,who is worthy to be praised,and I am saved from my enemies.

Kim, I also wanted to encourage you with these verses to.Please know we will be praying for you whole family during this time.

Heather Francis said...

Kim, My thoughts and prayers are with your family, you have been such an encouragement to andrew and I through your strong faith. I promise I'll write you longer message about what is going on in our lives. Love you guys tons Our God is Amazing!
-Heather Francis
P.S-I wanna see some pictures of your little one growing, or your belly growing that is...!