Monday, April 19, 2010

Which Race are YOU Running?

Where do I even begin?? It has been quite some time since I have posted (well...before the post about my Dad :) Who by the way is home and on the road of recovery!)...I guess you could say blogging has not exactly been at the top of my "to do list" recently. I'm not really sure what has, though. To be honest, sometimes I feel like I am in a race and there is no finish line in sight...I'm just trying to keep up and catch my breath when I can. Other times I feel like I'm totally on top of things and really do have time to take it easy...but then I end up doing something like take a nap, or organize that long forgotten drawer, or catch up on other peoples' blogs.

You know what is kind of sad about what I just wrote, though? It's the fact that I truly often don't see a finish line in sight! And that is because I often am running the totally wrong race. I run the Kimberly's Agenda race, and not the race of Christlikeness with the finish line being eternity. Paul..........oh Paul...........my hero, my role model. If only I could be like Paul. Paul admits to being a sinner. In fact, he even calls himself the foremost of sinners (1 Tim. 1:15)...wow! that is humility. He admits to being imperfect (Phil. 3:12), weak (2 Cor. 12:10). But never do we hear of Paul being apathetic. Never do we see him doing his own thing and running his own race. No....Paul always did the will of the Father, and he ran the race of Christlikeness. He was always "pressing on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 3:14)

He knew what Christ had called Him to: to become like Himself. Paul went through more than I could imagine as far as persecution goes, all for the sake of the gospel, glorifying His Father and becoming like Him. He was committed to doing God's will and understood that all that happened to him was a part of God's will (Rom. 1:10; 8:27; 12:1-2; 2 Cor. 8:5; Eph. 5:17; 6:5-6).

I lose sight of this race. I lose sight of what I am actually supposed to be doing during my daily activities. I am supposed to be worshipping Christ in all that I do (Rom. 12:1-2). By loving Him while I love others. By serving Him while I serve others. By meditating on Him during those thoughtless times. By praying throughout my day...praising Him, confessing to Him, lifting up requests before Him. By seeking ways to encourage and serve others, even if I have to go out of my own way. By bringing to mind the truths of what is to come...glorious eternity with my Savior. There will be rewards, but the greatest reward will be meeting my Lord and worshipping Him.

I am a citizen of heaven. This is NOT my home. I am waiting for my Savior. I will someday be like my Savior.....

All these things were made possible because of the gospel. The death of my Lord....

Yes....may I run the race of Christlikeness and live in light of these prescious truths.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

My dear sister...that is EXACTLY how I have been feeling lately...running and running the race...but forgetting about the "goal" and feeling so very tired and worn out in the process. Dear sister...thank you so much for you sharing YOUR heart and for encouraging mine so greatly in the process!!!

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

Ruth Erickson said...

Hi Kimberly,

You don't know me...but I feel like part of your family, thanks to your dear sister Kristin. I've been following her blogs for a few years now and she "pointed" to your blog today.

Well I can't tell you how much God used you today!!! Just this morning I was begging God to show me His will and what I should be doing with my life right now...

I needed to be reminded of what race I'm running. My father has quoted Phil.3:14 almost everyday of his life...and I still forget to listen and follow! So I just wanted to thank you for the awesome reminder!

I've also been praying for your father and family too! So happy to hear and read that he's improving.

Fenway Park "er" said...

Thanks Kim

Sometimes I lay here forgetting there is a finish line and begin to lose hope. Your words were and encouragemet to dear old Dad who must patiently wait for God to heal in His time and be content with the circumstances God has allowed me to rest in these next several months.