Saturday, January 8, 2011

Love and Marriage

I have to say, I pretty much love going to weddings. Seeing two people united as one in Christ, starting their journey of serving Him together is such an amazing thing to witness, and a sweet reminder of the purpose of my own marriage, as well as the commitment I made to Aaron on our own wedding day.

Hearing the vows of newlyweds reminds me of my own vows to Aaron, and how I have failed those promises time and again. It's in the little ways that I have failed...promising to love and respect him no matter what comes our way, promising to submit to him in all things. I often think I am a great submitter, but then I look at my heart in a situation, or asses my thoughts, and I realize that submission is not as easy as it seams! The Lord sees me heart, and knows my thoughts...he sees my inner man, which is who I really am!

It is when I have taken my eyes off of Christ that loving and respecting my husband is hardest. That is because putting my eyes on our sovereign Savior and trusting in His perfect plan is the only way I can totally submit to and respect my husband in all things. Because I know that Christ is working out his perfect plan in my husband, and will accomplish all that He desires through Him.

So, Christ has called me to have His selfless love for my husband through all things, and there is nothing like going to a beautiful Christian wedding to remind of that! BUT even more special is to have my own husband giving his first "marriage message" as he officiated his first wedding. And he did a wonderful job! :) He is a natural when it comes to speaking in front of people, and has such a passion for the things of the Lord! You would think that those two things put together would make him a great preacher, but I have yet to convince him of that. :)

Anyways, back to weddings!! Aaron officiated the wedding of our dear friends, Jared and Jenny Kline, on New Year's Eve, and it was a blast to see them get married after doing premarital counseling with them for the past several months!
And then the very next weekend we headed up to Sacramento for the long awaited wedding of my best friend from highschool! This wedding was a very special one for me, as I sort of helped instigate the relationship back in high school, and have been waiting for this day for years...5 to be exact!!! If you think is a long to time date, they were engaged for 2 years!! I don't think I would recommend it, as 6 months seemed too long to me :). But they did it! The Lord kept them together and growing while Chris went to the academy and graduated a CHP officer, while Desiree finished school WITH her teacching credential...all in 3 1/2 years!

So.... the big day finally arrived and I was SO excited for them, I think I was practically jumping up and down all day. :) The Lord has seen them through so many things these past five years, and I couldn't be more proud of them for all the things they have accomplished with the Lord's ever-present help and strength. Their wedding was beautiful, and it was such a privilege to be a part of it, and celebrate their marriage....FINALLY!! :P

Desiree and Chris...thanks for being such sweet friends...friends who love the Lord as much as I do and were there to encourage me through highschool (whether you knew it or not!) May your marriage be founded on our Solid Rock and stand firm! And may it be so sweet and wonderful, filled with many precious moments! Love you both!

1 comments:

Kristin said...

I didn't know Aaron officiated his first wedding! What a sweet blessing! And I am so glad your trip up to Sacramento was so wonderful...the bride looked beautiful and so did you my dear sister! Love the dress!!!!