Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Family First!!!

In the midst of talking about hospitality, it is important to remember that our families should always be our primary sphere of influence. My husband and soon to be out-of-the-tummy- baby girl need to be the recipients of the majority of my ministry!

If taking care of my own home and family is not my priority, then my foundation for serving others is going to be shaky. How could my husband and I be united in wanting to serve others if my own husband's needs are not being met? "The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain." (Prov. 31:11) There have been so many times where my service towards others leaves things in dissaray at home, or leaves dinner uncooked, or leaves me exhausted and unpleasent to be with. I understand that we need to be willing to sacrifice in order to serve others, but that doesn't mean we have an excuse to neglect our husband's and children's needs.

So, if you struggle in this area as I do, then here are some great areas to focus on growth in...

  • Refuse Idleness- There is NO secret to having a tidy home and being a good cook....It's HARD WORK!!
  • Practice Diligence- Planning can be incredibly helpful. Be industrious with your time (Prov. 6:6-11, 10:4)
  • Prepare your home- "Live in anticipation of guests." When Lisa said this, I thought "WOW". One of my biggest struggles is upkeep. My life would be so much easier if I would keep up with daily chores and keep the home tidy...my husband would also be much happier :).
  • Plan for gracious service- this takes meditation in God's Words and much prayer. We need to plan for the unexpected and respond with gracious attitudes, remembering that the Lord is the giver of ALL things.

It's humbling to see how much I have to grow in, seeing as I have no children yet! I could sit here and get incredibly discouraged with my sin and lack of diligence or I could take one thing at a time. I think I will choose the second and strive to be "steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that my toil is not in vain!"

3 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

Keep them coming, dear sister!!! Seriously, your summary of what you have learned is FANTASTIC and I real blessing to my heart!!!! Once your "series" is finished, let me know...it's going on my blog :)
LOVE YOU!!!!

crystal said...

Thank you Kim for sharing what you are learning!It helps me to refresh my mind and remember what is most important!I was excited to see that you had new post up:)yeah!!have a great day girl and I sure hope you are feeling good! I cant wait to see pictures on your blog of this sweetie pie:)

For His Glory said...

Thank you for sharing your heart Kimberly, it was a much needed reminder for my own heart~Love ya