Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Heart Hurts


"And we know that God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son."
~Romans 8:28-29b~


I want it to be one big dream. I want them to re-appear. I want to put them back on my finger and never take them off again...even if it means getting lotion all over them. I want to be given a second chance to be responsible.

But God doesn't always give me what I want. He gives me what is BEST. That's what I keep preaching to myself every time I look at my naked hand. God has given me something to remind me many times a day that I need to rely upon His perfect peace, His glorious grace, His sovereign plan, His superior ways, and His sufficient love. He has given me a ringless finger. I have lost my wedding rings.

Tears fill my eyes just writing this, but I refuse to lie and tell you I'm ok because I know God is sovereign, or that I'm ok because they are just rings, which have no eternal value. I know God is sovereign, and I realize they have no eternal value, but my heart is sad. So sad. I DO feel silly being so grieved over something so material, but this material possession is so dearly precious to me. Nothing could replace the memory of Aaron popping out this brocken black box from his pocket with this beautiful ring in it as he asked me to marry him. It was broken because he opened it so many times to look at it as he anticipated giving it to me. I though it was the most beautiful ring in the whole world, and even though I wasn't happy knowing it must have cost him a fortune, deep down inside he made me feel like a queen. And all those memories came back every time I looked at it. Those rings never lost their brilliance in my eyes.

I have this habit of turning my rings with my thumb to make them straight, so my thumb still naturally does that, but there are no rings to turn. I try so hard to go a few hours without thinking about it, but that habit comes back, and when I feel no rings, I am reminded they are gone. And I am reminded that God is sovereign and that I need to trust in that. I am reminded that God IS GOOD, and I NEED to BELIEVE that. I am reminded that I still have EVERYTHING to be thankful for, because really...I just lost some metal and minerals (well....minerals that my husband worked really hard to pay for....), even if they are precious to me.

My sweet sister called me after receiving an email asking for prayer that we would find them, and she spoke some much needed truths to me about the goodness of God's sovereignty from the book "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges. My heart was so comforted by the things she quoted me, and I am so thankful for her desire to give me the truth. I can't quote anything that she said exactly, but basically....God is totally and completely sovereign over every little detail of my life. He orchestrated this situation to happen for my GREAT good, testing me and refining me into the image of His Son. He wants me to learn something through this trial and wants me to TRUST in His perfect plans for my life. He wants me to respond obediently to this situation that HE has laid before me! And He doesn't want me to beat myself up over my irresponsibility, because He KNEW I would make a mistake and wants me to lean on Him and trust in HIS control over the situation.

God is GOOD. God wants my GOOD. God is using this situation for my GOOD. It is GOOD that this has happened. There is a quote that was first given to me by my sister a few years ago, and I just "happened" to come across it again this week as it was quoted in one of the books I am reading. It couldn't have come at a more perfect time.

"There is nothing---no trouble, no circumstance, no testing---- that van ever touch me until, first of all, it has gone past God and past Christ right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a great purpose, which I may not understand at the moment. But as I refuse to become panicky, as I lift my eyes up to Him and accept it as coming from the throne of God for some great purpose of blessing to my own heart, no sorrow will ever disturb me, no trial will ever disarm me, no circumstance will cause me to fret---for I shall rest in the joy of what my Lord is!---That is the rest of victory!" ~Alan Redpath~

I realize that this trial is so little in comparison to what could have happened in my life, or to what is happening in many other lives, and that alone is something to be thankful for! I am saved by the king and have a wonderful, healthy husband, and beautiful, healthy daughter....I AM BLESSED beyond most in this world, and I praise Jesus for that. But, please pray for me. Pray that I would rest in the joy of what my Lord is! The tears still come and the desire to find my rings is still there, but I want my Lord to be glorified in my response to this situation, so please pray for me to that end. And of course, please pray with me that the Lord would help us find my rings.

"The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs His steps." ~Proverbs 16:1,9~

9 comments:

Carrie Tischer said...

Kim,
My heart aches for you to have your rings back. I am praying that God would show you where they are and that he would give you the peace and grace you need to carry on.
Much love to you!

The Johnson Family said...

I am praying for you Kimberly!

Kristin said...

Dear sister...MY heart is still heavy for you, so I can't imagine how your heart is sad. MY eyes still fill with tears, so I can only imagine yours do.

Boy have I prayed that they would show up...and I even asked for prayer at ladies Bible Study...any woman understands the importance and "preciousness" of their wedding rings!

I don't know if you noticed but the title of your last post before this one was "What once was lost has now been found" and I keep praying that you will be able to repost that title with news of your wedding rings!

I love you dearly, my sweet sister, and I continue to pray that God would chose to be glorified in your rings being returned to you!!!!

Fenway Park "er" said...

Oh, Kimberly ... I have been praying every day that the Lord of the rings (no pun intended) will be your all-sufficient Savior. Your post was precious and I wept with you, knowing how special weddings rings are to the bride and the groom who gave them. My heart aches for you, too. But my heart also rejoices in the paradox of trusting the words of Jesus. "But whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." I do believe that the last chapter in this story hasn't been written yet. Your loss IS working together for "good," (Rom. 8:28), and I'm looking forward to the superior blessings God has in store for you when He writes the final chapter on your heart. Thanks for sharing your loss, but please don't forget to share the blessing when the Lord turns it all for His glory and your good!

Love you, Dad

Beth said...

Kimberly-I would not feel silly for losing them. It was an honest mistake and has happened to many. I don't think anyone would question the importance and preciousness of the rings (especially to us girls), as we remember when that first ring was placed on our left hand, and changed our lives drastically in a good way. Praying you find them, and also that you're cling tightly to God during this trial. Look somewhere unexpected, that's where these things always turn up :)

Kelly said...

Kim, I know that feeling of having the empty finger. When we lived in Colorado, there was a time when we couldn't find my ring... I had a little girl that helped!

We couldn't find it for about 3 or 4 days, and then Casey found it in another part of the house. Norah had put it in my nightstand. She was "helping" me keep it safe.

I burst into tears and wept when Casey put it on my finger again.
I'll be praying that Aaron will be able to do the same for you...

Read these sweet words from my son's namesake:

“Unerring wisdom ordained your lot, and selected for you the safest and best condition. Remember this, had any other condition been better for you than the one in which you are, divine love would have put you there. You are placed by God in the most suitable circumstances. Be content with such things as you have, since the Lord has ordered all things for your good.”
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

You are loved,

Kelly

Michelle P said...

Wow Kim...I'm having some deja vu readiing this, as I just lost my rings a few weeks ago! I can still remember the panic, frustration, sorrow, and prayers very well!!
I went thru a lot of the thoughts you mentioned, and God definitely used that experience to remind me of what is truly important and what isn't...that I had a choice to worship God thru it, or throw a pity party! It really was a blessing to be reminded of how temporary "my" earthly possessions are...and a comfort to know that all I lost was an earthly, temporary thing! ;) But, it was really frustrating to think of how much money we lost, and the memory of our wedding day. I had to trust God that He has the better plan.
And, another lesson, was that I should go to God with the "little" things. Sometimes it can feel silly, but if He's my Dad, then I know I can go to Him with anything! Praise the Lord that He let me find them at work the next day!! Will be praying for you as you go thru this! Love ya!

Heather Francis said...

Kim, My heart is hurting for you because it is reminding me of my own situation of when I lost my engagement ring jut a month after we had been engaged. It was hard to not blame myself and feel so guilty for swimming with my ring on but as you said God is sovereign and knows everything. I am praying that maybe they will be found and you will be at peace somehow in the situation. God will provide. And let me just say that if you have home owners insurance they may pay for it, they did with my engagement ring. E-mail and update me. Don't feel silly accidents happen and God will provide. Your in my thoughts and prayers, you are such a sweet girl and wedding rings or not you have an awesome husband that will love you forever no matter if you have rings or not. Love you girl glorify God through everything!

For His Glory said...

Ahhhhhh! How painful! I am so sad for you dear Kim because I can only imagine the sickening feeling of losing my ring!! Check your laundrey basket and dryer and washing machine!! Oh Kim What you shared was precious...Your focus is right and God will honor that...Not sure how but I know He will :) In your purse?? top of fridge?? Hey, God knows EXACTLY where they are right!